Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What I Am Reading: rabbit, run

This book has since been completed in full by the eyes of The Underling submitted here for your perusal is the review.

Calling an audible on this one, originally I was going to read Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel (which I actually started on the plane but stopped after 10 pages) but I have decided to go with John Updike's rabbit run instead.

As you may or may not know John Updike died recently and as the corollary goes, once you die your books become more readable. So it makes sense that I would have a sudden urge to read him.

My whole life I have heard of people talking of this Updike fellow, and besides thinking it funny that he had "Dike" in his name like all teenagers would I also thought only snobby people read him. I thought that because every time I overheard his name it was with an air of superiority and it sounded like to read Updike meant you were in a club of elite readers, a club of snobbery. Now it may come as a surprise but an elitist (your term not mine) such as myself hates elitists in a group setting (which makes me sort of an Über elitist) so I refused to read Updike for that reason.

Since then I know better, just because I bunch of literary assholes read an author it does not mean that they own him. So with his death and on a recommendation by my friend John I decided to pick up rabbit, run and give it a read. I am determined not to turn into an elitist literature spewing snob.

As for the cover; it is on the boring side when it comes to graphics but at the same time I like the simplicity of it. It as if they knew that they were going for a generic cover and decided not to make it more than that, good job Ballantine (which makes me really want some Ballantine Beer, I do believe I will be going to Bukowski's later today for one or two, oh hell I may just have to enjoy myself this afternoon).

Which makes me realize, one of my favorite authors has a bar named after him right down the street from my apartment. Though I knew this bar was down the street I did not connect my love for his works to the bar down the street until just now.

On that note I'm going to go drink, and if I get drunk I blame you the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment