Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What I Just Read: All Shall Be Well; and All Shall Be Well; and All Manner of Things Shall Be Well


For the review at face value go here.

First off, since you did not get the cover review for this book I give it to you now. This book was only read because the cover was incredibly amazing. Plain and simple.

Now that that is out of the way we can talk about the words behind the cover:

All Shall Be Well; and All Shall Be Well; and All Manner of Things Shall Be Well by Tod Wodicka is incredibly slow going in the beginning, almost painfully slow. I mean a book that starts with a guy quoting old English and participating in a Middle Ages style chanting class usually is not something one would call enjoyable literature. But then you find out why he is there, then you meet his best friend, then you meet his Children, then his wife, then his terrible mother-in-law, and then you are so wrapped up in Burt Hecker's world that to finish the last 14 pages you make sure to walk under every street lamp from your apartment to work at 9 at night.

Though the book takes about half of its' pages to get going the ending is everything you would want from a book, well, kind of. When I got to the last 30 pages or so the book was on a role, but when I actually finished it I was less excited then I was 30 pages before. Let's just say that Tod Wodicka probably enjoyed the fade to black ending on the Sopranos. Which yes leaves you thinking, and yeah he probably has a good reason for it, but it leaves me a little confused and let down. It's not that I wanted a specific ending, I just wanted an ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment