Saturday, January 24, 2009

Music of the Day: Medusa - Annie Lennox


New feature here! I listen to music a lot, and usually the specific artist comes in spurts and gets played a few times a day or week and the just peters out and isn't heard for a while. Some make it into the normal rotation, like Red, Yellow & Blue by Born Ruffians did. Others can just be nostalgic listens like today's post.

Before you start questioning my manliness let me explain. As a child I loved to play with toy cars on the window sills in my living room. For my mother this was awesome, because it left her to do what she needed to do (namely deal with my brother Brian who was not as independent as myself) all the while listening to her feminist music. I never realized until fairly recently how much female empowering music I was subjected to as a child; K.D. Lang, Bonnie Rait, Sinead O'Conner, Joni Mitchell and of course Annie Lennox.

A particular album sticks out in my mind when I reminisce about yesteryear, that album being Medusa by Annie Lennox. Besides having a cover of my favorite Clash song (Train In Vain) Medusa brings with it a hard hitting feminist style that I think subconciously put the fear of God (rather my mother) in me as a young child. The more I think about it I don't know if my mom actually liked that music as much as it was a form a psychological warfare. Regardless I know every word of every song Medusa and poor Mumkin (our cat) was privy to many examples last night and this morning.

I don't see this one making it into the rotation anytime soon but rather coming out when I'm alone and feel like I need a heavy dose of 80's early 90's female empowerment.

No comments:

Post a Comment