Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On Haircuts


While sitting getting my hair cut at Floyd's today I came to the conclusion that if I am going to spend a decent amount of time in Boston I think it may be a good idea for me to find a specific someone to cut my hair. Ever since leaving for Belgium I have encountered the issue of having my haircut by someone who is not Tony. I have had people who don't speak English, to a guy who just gives you the regular "I'm a white boy" haircut, to a guido who cuts well but almost takes your ear with him, and then there is Floyd's where you can have the same person twice and they wouldn't know any better.

And each time I'm scared I'm going to walk away with an aweful haircut (so far it's about 50/50). So today I officially announce my search for a new barber. It's been a long time coming, and looks to be no small feet in finding one I like considering how I haven't found one as of yet. But I think I'm going about it the wrong way, simply hitting the first place I see. I need to do some research.

All I want is a small shop with a few stools, a TV, moderately priced, and for the barber to be over the age of 40. The last one is the key, because I do not want anything in common with the person cutting my hair. To me getting your haircut is a moment in life when you reflect on things, it's like being in the shower or at the dentist; you sit there in silence and think. I don't want to talk about where I go to school, the Red Sox, Barack Obama, the weather or any of that shit. If I talk about anything with the guy, other than hair, I want it to be about my family, only because I want to have frequented the same place long enough that the guy knows my family.

And above all I want to walk in, sit down, and get my haircut the exact way I like it without having to show him pictures, explain what shampoo I use or how I comb my hair (for the record I don't). I want this guy to know my hair, and just do what needs to be done.

If your interested or have a suggestion, reply to this post.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=barber&find_loc=boston&ns=1&rpp=10#mapCenterLat:42.3514285067/mapCenterLng:-71.0818862915/mapZoom:12/places:MA%3ABoston%3A%3A%5BDowntown%2CBack_Bay%2CFenway%5D/zoomSelected:true/sortby:composite/mapsize:small/show_more_search_options:true


    Yelp is good because people actually care enough to put good reviews for places that deserve them. It hasn't failed me for restaurants, laundromats, Bars, and even butcher shops. give it a try I put in the neighborhoods around NU, but you can put where ever.

    ReplyDelete